The day started out as normal, except that school had been cancelled for the kids due to some streets being flooded, not allowing the buses to make their routes. I left Ben and the kids at home to head into BR to see Dr. Robichaux for my thumb. It was raining but nothing that seemed to be out of the ordinary.
I called Ben as I was leaving my appointment. We discussed the weather and the alerts coming on the news. I decided to make a trip to Carter's to get some groceries just in case we couldn't get out of our neighborhood over the weekend. Once I got home, I received a call from Mom. She sounded panicked. Her and dad were going to get sandbags as the water was getting close to their house. Ben, the kids and I packed up and headed to the fire station to help.Once we got to Mom and Dad's, the water was already in the shed, and in the Pod they had in their driveway. They had just moved all their furniture back in Wednesday following the remodel of their living room and kitchen.
Sandbags are down but we do not have enough. Ben and I head to Stines to get cinder blocks...
Dad helping us to get out of the driveway...
Furniture is up...
Newly remodeled kitchen...
Water is inches from coming in the house, sewer is not working. Nothing more we can do here. We made them pack a bag, get Dixie and come to our house.
We barely made it into our neighborhood with Ben's lifted F250 truck. Our streets were flooded but our house was high. We came home to no electricity. Ben cooked spaghetti on our gas stove while the kids stayed busy playing cards. The night would be long. Ben placed our alarm sign along the driveway to mark the water. We both made trips outside multiple times throughout the night to check the level. The water was staying steady. We kept our phones charging, checking on friends as we could, praying that all would be kept safe. A big scare came when the boat that Tim and Travis were in flipped, leaving them hanging onto a tree until they could be rescued. Friends who lived north, were having to make their ways to safety, leaving behind their homes that were taking on water. Ben, Kyleigh and I may have slept a total of a few hours combined that night...



No comments:
Post a Comment