I didn't know this was the last time I would hear her voice! It has been a whirlwind 2 weeks. Mimi broke her hip on March 16. After surgery and staying in the hospital with mom for several days, she was admitted to the nursing home for rehab. Because of Covid, she could not have visitors inside the nursing home. She hated it, and did not have the will to live. Ben, the kids and I went to the nursing home on Saturday and visited her outside her window. This is the last picture of her smiling and laughing as she talked with us. On Sunday, I talked with mom about bringing her home on hospice. Mom has so much on her plate with her recent breast cancer diagnosis. I even considered bringing her to our house. On Monday morning, mom called to tell me she asked the nursing home to call hospice in. It would take a day or 2 to get her transferred home. Mimi came home to Mom and Dad's on Tuesday around 1 pm. She was not coherent. Ben took me to visit her around 5. She had labored breathing and we knew it wouldn't be long. We left to feed the kids supper, but mom was calling not long after. Her labored breathing was so shallow Mom wasn't sure if she was breathing. I headed back to Mom's while she called the hospice nurse. Mimi passed away peacefully around 10 pm. What a legacy she leaves!
Thanksgiving Day
1 year ago



No comments:
Post a Comment